Who here can do without the Internet? None of us. But, just getting an Internet connection is not enough. We need a Wi-Fi router that will help us use the Internet no matter where we choose to sit in our house.
Now, while regular (basic) routers work seamlessly for small homes, they are pointless for 2-story houses. This is because they cannot cover the entire perimeter. The farther you go from the router, the weaker the signal will get, and there’ll be many dead spots that can drive you insane. Imagine having to sit in just one room or a particular spot on the second floor when you want to use the Internet!
There’s good news, though. We live in advanced times when most problems have easy solutions. There are routers thus, that can give you high-speed Internet with no drop-offs regardless of where you decide to set camp in your house. They are designed to cover a larger square-footage without any problems. And in this article, we are going to speak about the best Wi-Fi routers for 2-story houses that can cover 2,000, 2,500, 3000 sft., and above.
But, before we go any further, we would like to speak about the features you should look for to find the best wireless router for multiple floors. This knowledge will make it easy for you:
- Measure/find out the area of your house. A router that’s perfect for a 2000 sqft. The home will not do any good for a 4,000 sqft. home. Most routers specify the square-footage they cover as well. So, matching the numbers will help you.
- Find routers that have 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. Even though 2.4 GHz is common, we recommend both to ensure optimal range and speed.
- Make sure your router has antennae. Even though people think they are old-school, the fact remains that they are very useful. Antennae can help you route the signal in a particular direction.
Time to go through what the market is offering at the moment!
Best Wifi Router For 2 Story House
1. NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Wi-Fi Router System
We have barely ever gone through a list of the Best Wi-Fi routers without the mention of NETGEAR. It is a leader in this industry and never fails to impress. Its Whole Home Mesh System also lives up to its reputation. Keep reading to know why.
- It has the ability to cover up to 5,000 sqft. area and connect to more than 25 devices. Plus, if you want to extend the coverage, you can get an extra satellite and increase it further by 2,500 sqft.
- It is a pack of 1 router and 1 satellite.
- You can enjoy an uninterrupted speed of up to 3 GBPS with this router.
- The router is compatible with all the popular Internet providers.
- It is a tri-band router out of which 1 band connects the satellite and the router. The remaining 2 are free and dedicate themselves to giving you more coverage.
- The system has parental controls that allow you to pause Internet access on particular devices, filter websites, and check usage history.
- The router is also protected against viruses and malware.
- You can set the whole system up within minutes. All you need is the Orbi app on your phone.
- Other features include WPA2 support, VPN, firewall, and guest Wi-Fi access.
2. MOTOROLA AC2600 Wi-Fi Router
Surprised to see Motorola on this list? Well, you shouldn’t be. It is a leader in many devices, including Wi-Fi routers. If you don’t believe us, believe Amazon. It is their choice as much as it is users’. Below are a few reasons why:
- The horizontal router has 4 LAN ports to connect to multiple devices.
- It also has a USB 3.0 port.
- It has 4 adjustable antennae that let you direct the signal in specific directions. This lets you avoid congestion.
- It is powered by QoS that ensures that the connection is steady.
- It connects via Gigabit Ethernet or AC2600 dual-band Wi-Fi to let you connect to HDTVs, gaming consoles, computers, tablets, etc.
- It has the ability to ignore Wi-Fi noise and provide seamless coverage to a spacious 2-story home.
- The router works on a dual-core processor.
- Its other features include parental controls, firewall, guest network, and IPv4 and IPv6 support.
- It is one of the most affordable options on our list.
3. NETGEAR Nighthawk Wi-Fi Router
Say hello to another master-stroke from NETGEAR. The Nighthawk is one of the most sought-after Wi-Fi routers today because of its efficiency, among other things. Let’s take a closer look:
- It is available in multiple models based on streams. You can choose any from 4 to 12 streams. For a 2-story house, though, we recommend a router with 8 streams.
- It works with most Wi-Fi devices, including the latest Wi-Fi 6 phones such as Galaxy S10 and iPhone 11.
- It has 8 streams that you can use simultaneously. This allows more devices to be connected in one go.
- It has multiple wired ethernet ports as well. So, you can plug your computer or gaming console in when you want to.
- The router has a quad-core processor (64-bit and 1.8 GHz).
- It has 4 amplified antennae that enhance the signal and let you direct it to the right place.
- You can enjoy smart parental controls through the app, restricting access and filtering websites as and when you see the need.
- It supports WPA2 security protocols.
- Thanks to its USB 3.0 connections, you can share storage drives with any of the connected devices.
- VPN, firewall, guest Wi-Fi access, dynamic QoS, and Beamforming+ are some of the other attractive features.
4. Amazon eero Pro Wi-Fi Router System
Amazon entered the Wi-Fi world a while ago and took over it with a bang! Here’s the Amazon eero Pro Wi-Fi System that serves as an example of the same. It is a complete setup that takes care of your coverage and speed problems without leaving any dead zones. A few details are as follows:
- It comes in multiple sets such as a set of 3 eero Pros, 1 eero Pro with 2 eero Beacons, and 1 eero Pro and 1 eero Beacon. You may choose based on your requirements. For a 2-story home, the first choice is ideal.
- The system has the ability to cover 5 bedrooms in 2 floors through its mesh network.
- It has powerful hardware and is backward compatible with the 1st generation eero products as well.
- It has tri-band coverage.
- The devices are sleek and aesthetically appeals. You can also conceal them easily if you wish to.
- You can set the device up with the utmost ease. You can also extend the network if the need arises.
- It is an extremely smart setup that gives you a world of settings such as pausing the Internet on certain devices and setting schedules for individual profiles.
5. Google Wi-Fi System – 3-pack for a multi-story house
We are positive that most of you were waiting for the mention of Google because it is supposed to be a leader in this field! Well, it’s here, and you aren’t wrong. Google is highly dependable and never fails to give you what we are looking for (and more). Without wasting any time, thus, let’s see why the Google Wi-Fi System will be a great addition to your 2-story home.
- A single device will cost you a hundred bucks, but for a large home, we recommend the 3-pack, which lets you save a few bucks as a combo.
- It promises seamless Internet throughout the home without leaving any dead zones.
- With the set, the coverage is 4,500 sft., which is quite exceptional. If you are not looking at more than 2000-3000 sqft. though, you can just get a pack of 2.
- The system works on a Network Assist Technology that ensures fast connectivity and clear channels.
- You get to enjoy superior features such as pausing Wi-Fi on devices, prioritizing certain devices, and other family controls.
- It is a dual-band Wi-Fi system, which simultaneously allows 2.4 and 5 GHz.
- It is compatible with Android and iOS devices.
Choosing the best device from this list shouldn’t be a problem! Just compare the prices and your requirements to purchase the right one. If you have any doubts or are unable to decide, leave a comment and we will get back to you with answers.