Live streaming is the most popular hobby these days. With all social media platforms encouraging short videos and live streams, the competition has drastically increased. If you want to stand out, you must give it your best shot. And, we all know that without proper audio, a video is no good.
Enter shotgun mics.
Shotgun microphones or boom mics are very popular for streaming. They are powerful mics designed to give you the best quality of audio while recording films and video. It is also capable of picking up sounds from different spots so that you don’t have to put additional efforts later.
Benefits of using a shotgun mic for streaming
Why is a shotgun mic a great choice for streaming? There’s one big advantage that leaves everything behind – the sound it picks up.
With a shotgun mic, you can be sure that it will pick up the sound right in front of it while ignoring the other sounds. In other words, shotgun microphones facilitate focused recording. They can be considered unidirectional for this reason.
To ensure that the quality of sound recorded is great, you should be mindful of where and how you point your mic. It should directly be in line with the speaker. Otherwise, it may pick up other sounds while fading yours away.
Best Shotgun Mic For Streaming
Manufacturers have responded in kind to the high demand for shotgun mics. There are multiple choices that you can explore today. Here are a few of our favorites:
1. Shure Dynamic Microphone – VP89M
This is a battery-operated shotgun mic with a unidirectional polar pattern. It is available in 3 variations and has the following features:
- The microphone works on the latest technology with an updated preamplifier design and RF immunity.
- It comes with interchangeable capsules (long, medium, and short) for convenience.
- The mic comes with a foam windscreen and a carrying case.
- It is well-suited for talk shows, audience response, and live concerts.
- The lightweight mic is quite versatile and rugged.
2. Sennheiser Pro Audio Super Cardioid Shotgun Microphone – MKH416-P48U3
Sennheiser is a leading company for quality electronics and it won’t stay behind in this regard either, it seems. Its unidirectional shotgun mic is a great buy if you are looking for something reliable. Here’s why:
- It is a corded electric mic and does not connect wirelessly.
- It has an interference tube principle that enables better directivity.
- You can use it in various weather conditions without problems because it has been designed to withstand them.
- The noise level is 13 dB. That’s quite low!
- The mic is transformerless and promises a balanced output.
3. Sennheiser Pro Audio Wireless Microphone – MKE600
If you love Sennheiser but do not want to choose a wired mic, this option will take your fancy. It is a wireless shotgun mic that operates on battery. It comes with the following features:
- The mic comes with pronounced directivity, which means that it is highly sensitive and only picks up sound from one direction.
- It works wonderfully to reject sound coming from the sides.
- It has an excellent filter called the Low Cut to cut wind noise.
- The mic comes with a foam windshield and a mount.
- You can charge it with P48 Phantom power or the battery.
- The mic’s housing is completely made of metal.
4. Rode VideoMicPro Compact Directional Microphone
Rode is another popular brand for shotgun mics. It has a few exceptional specifications that have helped it compete with the big guns. Let’s explore them:
- It is an on-camera wired microphone that comes with a 3.5mm audio jack.
- Its audio sensitivity is 14 dB, which is quite low and good.
- The shotgun mic has been designed for DSLR cameras, camcorders, etc.
- It comes with an ½-inch condenser capsule to increase the quality of the audio recorded. It is at par with broadcasts.
- Its shock mounting system is another good feature that isolates external factors and records crystal clear audio.
5. Audio-Technica Line/Gradient Shotgun Microphone – AT897 (Renewed)
Renewed items are not bad, provided you purchase them after due diligence. This mic from Audio-Technica is as good as new and comes at a lower cost, making it the perfect buy for those with budget concerns. Here are some of its features:
- It has been designed specifically for broadcast audio and video production.
- The mic is short (11 inches), making sure it stays away from the camera.
- The audio quality is smooth and natural.
- It is a wired microphone with a narrow angle. It can pick up sound from a long distance as well.
- It works to reject sound from the sides and the rear, focusing only on the sound source in front of it.
- You can use it on battery or Phantom power.
No matter which shotgun mic you choose from our list, we are positive you will love it. These are tried and tested by our experts and are quite reliable. We hope you found our guide helpful. In case you have questions, please feel free to leave a comment.