Do you use Google Chromecast to stream videos? To enjoy seamless streaming that’s fast and reliable, you will need to connect your Chromecast with the right router. Keep in mind that not all routers may be compatible and that not all those are compatible may give you the speed you wish for.
Best Router for Chromecast Streaming
This is why we have come up with a comprehensible list to help you figure out the best router for Chromecast streaming.
1. NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Router for Chromecast Streaming
Rightly tagged as Amazon’s Choice, the NETGEAR Nighthawk is among the best routers for Chromecast out there. It is an 802.11 AC/AD quad-stream wave 2 router and has a 1.7 GHz quad-core processor.
Below are a few of its distinguished features:
- It can offer up to 4600 + 1733 + 800 Mbps speed.
- It has a Plex media server that enables you to use your media from your USB to your Nighthawk router.
- It offers the fastest processor for VR gaming, 4K streaming, surfing, and more.
- It comes with DFS channels in 4 GHz.
- The Nighthawk app is easy to work with and will help you set the router up quite easily. You can set up, test, and run using your mobile and nothing else.
- It has 6 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- The system requirements are Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Google Chrome 11.0, Safari 1.4, or Firefox 2.0 and up.
- You get 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz options to choose from.
- It also comes with the Access Control feature.
- If you are facing issues with connectivity, you may want to update to the latest version because the stock router firmware may be at fault.
2. TP-Link Archer AC1200 Smart Wi-Fi Router
If you are looking for an affordable and reliable option, the TP-Link Archer is the right choice for you. You can upgrade to 1200 Mbps AC Wi-Fi and enjoy 4K videos with utmost ease.
Let’s take a look at some of its features:
- Download the TP-Link Tether App and set up your entire home network with utmost ease. It is simple and seamless.
- With the USB access, you can wirelessly share the content such as on your USB drive.
- The three external antennae ensure better connectivity and stronger coverage. The antennae are removable.
- It has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- It provides 94.5% more throughput than N600 routers and 60% more throughput than AC750 routers.
- It has 1 USB 2.0 port.
- If you are looking for a router that allows excellent online gaming experience, this may not be the right option for you.
- It does not support WDS.
3. ASUS Dual-Band Wireless N600 Gigabit Router
Supporting 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz dual-band transmissions, this router lets you enjoy speeds up to 600 Mbps. In other words, it is the perfect buy if you are looking for regular movie streaming and nothing over the top such as high-end online gaming experiences.
We have compiled a few of its features below:
- It has 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- It has 2 USB 2.0 ports.
- It allows easy multitasking especially when it comes to surfing, scanning, and printing.
- You can expect a throughput of around 900 Mbps.
- You can use it with IEEE 802.11 A/B/G/N networking standards.
- It has wireless compatibility of 5.8 GHz radio frequency.
- If you find difficulty connecting it with your Chromecast, here’s what you can do. Enable IGMP Snooping. You will find this option under Advanced Settings > Wireless > Professional. If you are still facing a problem, you may want to talk to the Asus technical support team.
- Some users have complained about bugs in the firmware, though.
4. TP-Link AC5400 Wireless Wi-Fi Tri-Band Gigabit Router
Among the more popular Chromecast compatible routers, the TP-Link AD7200 uses the 802.11 AD wireless technology to provide smooth and reliable connectivity in the entire house.
Let’s take a look at a few more of its features:
- It uses the MU-MIMO technology to provide multi-user support so that you use your devices at the same time without problems.
- The 1.4 GHz dual-core CPU enables you to enjoy fast connection without any interruptions.
- You can stream 4K movies or share a plethora of files through the 60 GHz band.
- The Wi-Fi router can reach speeds of up to 7200 Mbps due to the presence of multiple bands.
- It has 2 USB 3.0 ports.
- It has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Users have reported that they are not particularly happy with the parental controls and since you can’t install an open standard firmware, you are stuck with bad quality in this regard.
5. TRENDnet AC3200 Gigabit Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router for streaming
The TRENDnet AC3200 is a pre-encrypted Wi-Fi router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 USB connections. One of these USB connections is USB 3.0.
Here are its features:
- It has smart connect, through which it can automatically group slow and fast AC devices, allocating separate bands to each.
- It has 1 GHz dual-core CPU along with 3 integrated co-processors.
- It has penta-core processing.
- The tri-band feature offers total speeds of around 3200 Mbps – 600 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz along with 1300 Mbps.
- It is an amazing router for 4K streaming.
- The protected setup through the WPS button ensures secure connectivity.
- The brand provides IPv6 network support.
The best router for Chromecast streaming depends on your expectations and requirements. Some of you may just want it for regular Netflix streaming while the others may want it for streaming, online gaming, and more. That is why it is essential that we compare all the routers and choose the one that fits our needs.
Chromecast router setup
How to Choose a WIFI Router?
Choosing the right router for your chromecast is essential as it can change your entire online viewing experience. There are many routers available at an economical rate, but to decide which one will be ideal for your setup, consider all the following factors:
Your internet’s top speed
The first filter that you can use to sort some options for the routers is by checking your internet’s top speed. Select a router that is compatible with the speed offered by your Internet Service Provider ( ISP). You can also ask your ISP about the top speed offered by him and the alternative of routers compatible for the same.
Number of devices connected to WiFi
The next factor to consider for setting up the router for chromecast is to count the total number of devices that you will be connecting. A router with a 2.4GHz band can give a maximum of 300Mbps speed for ten connected devices. So each of the devices will be getting 30Mbps speed on an average. You can opt for dual-band routers if there are multiple users for chromecast in your house.
Consider the area you want to cover
Make sure to go through the specifications and coverage offered by the router before making the purchase. A single band router might not suffice in a large house or flat.
You can also purchase the modem that is compatible with the router. In case you are facing trouble to get the right router and modem for your place, contact your ISP to get a basic idea and some information about the entire router setup.