Screen mirroring has taken the world by storm. It is one of the most popular technologies at the moment, so if you haven’t heard of it yet, you have come to the right place! Today we will talk about what is screen mirroring and what are its benefits. We will also include a few exemplary products that help you achieve screen mirroring.
Best Miracast Dongles
1. Asus Miracast Wireless Display Adapter
The Asus Miracast Wireless Display Dongle allows you to experience full HD wireless screen mirroring on a compatible TV. It can support any device with Android version 4.2 or higher or with Windows 8.1 on selected ASUS devices (such as ROG GR8 desktop).
- The setup is easy and hardly takes any time.
- The image quality on the screen is sharp, and there is zero lag.
- This device also allows you to keep two screens at a time- a mirrored screen and an another screen as the second monitor.
- A slight disadvantage of using this product is that to connect to a different device; you have to switch it off and then on again. The seamless switch in connectivity is not present.
- Works with Android and Windows devices of all brands.
2. Cocar Wireless TV Screen Mirroring Adapter
The Cocar miracast dongle is one of the best devices available for wireless screen mirroring today. It promises you the best experience of watching your mobile device content on a big screen.
- It supports HDMI 1.4 and produces a crisp 1080p full HD output for you to look at.
- The built-in Wi-Fi module has an invisible antenna and runs at 2.4G speeds.
- This dongle can switch between Miracast and DLNA Airplay with the press of a button, which means this miracast adapter supports iPhone as well as Android devices.
- The minimum compatibility for connection to be successful is Android 4.2.2 and above, or IOS 6.1 above. The easy online upgrade process is also available.
- The operating system in the dongle makes it simple to set up and get running more quickly and stably.
- This dongle has 18 months of warranty.
When you are mirroring videos from YouTube onto your TV, remember only to use the YouTube app on your Android device. If you are using an iPhone/ iPad, remember to access YouTube website.
3. TAIR 1080P WiFi Wireless Mini Display Receiver Dongle
TAIR miracast adapter is one of the best wireless display adapters available today. Its compact size and FullHD image and video quality make it a smart buy. This device provides an unparalleled transmission speed of 150 Mbps. The signal range of this adapter is very long.
- It allows you to transmit your files quickly and efficiently and also provides a full HD output with the support of HDMI.
- Due to its sleek design, the wireless receiver can be easily attached to the USB port of your laptop. The installation process itself is easy and quick.
- It is small and lightweight, weighing only 0.5 oz. Carrying it is easy since you can simply put it in your pocket and travel.
Its advanced wireless screen mirroring feature lets you share all kinds of content from your mobile screen to your TV screen- including pictures, videos, online video clips, games, and much more.
4. Belkin Miracast Video Adapter
The video Miracast adapter dongle from Belkin will allow you to mirror the content of your smartphone, tablet, or any mobile device on a bigger HDTV screen. The package includes one Belkin Miracast dongle, one HDMI extension cable, one USB cable for power, and a user guide for the installation and setup process.
- It provides native support to the Windows 8.1 & higher and Android 4.2 X & higher Operating Systems.
- You can easily make the wireless connection between your smartphone to your TV and can enjoy watching the movies, games, images, etc. on a bigger screen.
- This Miracast certified dongle supports the 1080P (1920 x 1080 P) Full HD resolution to offer rich picture quality.
- It supports a bandwidth of 18Gbps and also compatible with 4K Ultra HD videos.
- If your TV is wall mounted, then you can take help of the included HDMI cable to connect the dongle to your HDTV which results in a convenient setup process.
5. Actiontec SBWD60A01 ScreenBeam Mini2 Wireless Display Receiver
The ScreenBeam Mini2 helps you to have effortless and wireless beaming of the content of your smartphone, laptop, Ultrabook, or any other mobile device on a bigger HDTV. This wireless display receiver from Actiontec is a WiDi ready device which supports Android 4.2 & higher as well as Windows 8.1 & higher OS.
- It is perfect for home use as well as for the people who want to mirror the screen of their smartphone onto a laptop while traveling.
- It supports dual wireless band which means you will get the maximum throughput without any interference.
- The SBWD60A01 supports 1080P Full HD resolution with ultra-low latency.
- You will get a Miracast display adapter, one USB power cable, one HDMI extension cable, one USB adapter, and a user guide in this package.
- Easier process for connection in just three steps; plug the receiver into the HDMI port of the TV, wirelessly connect your device, and enjoy watching the content on a bigger screen.
What is Wireless Screen Mirroring?
Screen mirroring is a technology that allows you to project the content of your mobile/tablet to your TV or projector. You can transmit the screen of your mobile/tablet/PC exactly as it is onto a big screen. There are two ways to do this- wired and wireless. Taking the wireless path, it is more popular due to its hassle-free setup and easy portability.
In wireless screen mirroring, a WiFi network is used to transmit your mobile device screen onto a bigger screen. A device (dongle or adapter) takes screenshots at a fixed rate per second and uses the nearest WiFi network to transmit those screenshots. All of this happens in real time while you are working on your mobile/PC.
Since as a user, you are directly sharing your screen without any intermediary, you will have greater control on what to display on TV/projector.
What is Miracast?
Miracast is most effectively described as a wireless HDMI connection. Miracast does not require a central router to connect your mobile device and screen. Even an internet connection is not required. Instead, it uses WiFi Direct protocol and transmits full HD video with a high-quality surround sound.
Another advantage of using the Miracast adapter is it works across different brands and platforms, as long as the brands are Miracast certified and secured by WPA2 encryption. For Miracast technology to work, the sending, as well as the receiving devices, have to be certified by Miracast.
One disadvantage of using Miracast is that the mobile device from which you are transmitting your screen needs to be kept awake during the entire transmission time, leading to a faster battery drain in your device.
Types of Miracast adapters (and their compatibility):
Miracast adapters are different for android devices, windows devices, and apple devices. The different adapters used for each kind of devices are-
- Google Cast for Android devices
Google Cast is the proprietary wireless screen mirroring technology of Google, making it one of the most reliable adapters in the market. Any Android smartphone or tablet that runs on Android 4.4.2 and higher can sync with a Google Cast and perform screen mirroring. The only thing you need to do is download the free Chromecast app on your phone/tablet.
The Google Cast receiver is one of the most versatile one’s available today. It also makes use of a voice search feature which scours multiple streaming apps to give you what you asked for. Although it does not use miracast screen mirroring protocol, it is an excellent product that leaves no complaint and gets the job done.
- Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter for Windows devices
This adapter is a great option for all Windows devices that want to perform screen mirroring. The screen mirroring protocol used in the adapter is WiDi/Miracast, while the device itself is a small HDMI stick that performs nearly flawless wireless screen mirroring. Whichever screen you need to mirror, the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter can do it without any lag. All you have to do is plug it in and connect your mobile/PC device, and you can see your device content mirrored on the screen.
- Apple TV for Apple devices
All Apple devices can use the screen mirroring technology with the help of AirPlay screen mirroring protocol, which is the oldest and most reliable screen mirroring protocols. Users can connect an iOS mobile or a Mac computer (with OS X) to Apple TV with the help of AirPlay and use it to display their mobile device screens. AirPlay has an easy setup and functionality, and the quality of wireless screen mirroring is excellent. Apple TV can also be used as a complete set-top box having all features.
Let us take a look at few adapters that perform screen mirroring effortlessly and give a quality performance.
After going through this article, we are sure you must be ready to embrace wireless screen mirroring with all its benefits. Now view your mobile device content larger than ever before with the best miracast dongle!